Tragedy struck in Texas, USA, following the death of an employee of the Jefferson County morgue who lost his life after being accidentally cremated by one of his coworkers.
According to the Beaumont Police Department, 48-year old Henri Paul Johnson decided to take a nap on a stretcher after working for sixteen hours straight.
Reports have it that while he was sleeping, another employee mistook him for the corpse of a 52-year-old car accident victim and carried him to the crematory.
According to Jenna Davis, one of Henri Johnson’s coworkers:
“Before anyone could notice the mistake, he had already been exposed to temperatures ranging between 1400 to 1800 degrees Fahrenheit and reduced to ashes.”
She further says heard him scream for about 15 seconds after the crematory was activated.
“At first, we didn’t understand where the sound was coming from. When we realised what was happening, it was too late. We shut down the heating system, but he was already dead.”
Ms. Davis claims that the young coworker who caused the accident was a new employee and had forgotten to check for the toe tag to make sure he had the right body.
The police have opened an investigation to determine the exact circumstances surrounding Mr. Johnson’s death.
Investigators have not ruled out the possibility of filing criminal charges against the employee who caused his death.
According to reports, the young man who caused the alleged accident could possibly be accused of criminal negligence causing death.