A woman has ended up in a hospital after attempting to remove fish bone stuck in her throat in the most bizarre way. She swallowed a spoon she was using to remove the bone.
Doctors in Shenzen, China recently performed an emergency endoscopy to remove a 13-centimeter metal spoon from a woman’s duodenum, after she accidentally swallowed it while trying to dislodge a fish bone from her throat, reports Oddity Central.
The patient, known only as Lily, reportedly swallowed the stainless steel spoon before the Qingming Festival on April 5, but didn’t bother going to the hospital until four days later, because she didn’t feel any pain in her stomach. She had apparently tried to use the metal spoon to remove a fish bone that had become lodged in her throat, but it accidentally slipped from her fingers and she ended up swallowing it.
The woman only went to the hospital to complain about her problem four days after the incident.
She told doctors at Shenzhen Nanshan Hospital last Monday what had happened, they ordered an X-ray and saw the large metal spoon stuck in her duodenum.
“As the spoon was in a somewhat horizontal position, we carefully adjusted it before pulling it out vertically,” Dr Sun Tingji told Pear Video. The metal spoon had caused swelling and erosion in the patient’s duodenum, but doctors were able to remove it, and following treatment, the woman was discharged and is expected to make a full recovery.