Dozens of Brits ‘vomited blood’ after struck with parasitic infection on Morocco holiday

More than 70 Brits were left vomiting up blood after being struck by a parasitic infection at a hotel in Morocco.

All the affected tourists stayed at the four-star Hotel Aqua Mirage in Marrakech before falling ill over the summer and autumn of 2022.

Guests reported pool toilet cubicles were covered in diarrhoea and vomit after many were diagnosed with E.coli, salmonella and cryptosporidium.

Chelsea Hagan and her six-year-old daughter Darcey from Anglesey, North Wales stayed at the resort between September 9 and 16, 2022.

The 29-year-old explained that upon their return to the UK, her little girl began showing symptoms including diarrhoea and vomiting.

Chelsea took her to the GP on two occasions. During the second appointment, she was referred to hospital.

By September 24, Chelsea also began vomiting blood, Chelsea called NHS 111 and was advised to attend A&E where she diagnosed with cryptosporidium.

Darcey’s symptoms eased around October 7, however, Chelsea still has ongoing health issues to this day.

Chelsea said: “When Darcey started being sick, I thought maybe it was from the heat on holiday, but after a few days I ended up taking her to the hospital as she wasn’t getting any better. It was awful seeing my little girl so unwell.

“Then I fell ill, and I couldn’t believe how bad I got. I’ve never felt stomach pain like it. I spent almost a day in hospital vomiting. It was horrendous.

“To find out I had a gastric infection was a huge shock and not something you expect just after returning from holiday.

“However, when I think back I can recall that the hygiene standards at the resort weren’t what I’d class as great.

“I remember raw meat was put next to cooked meat and people would pick at the food with their hands.

“At one stage, one of the toilet cubicles by the pool was covered in diarrhoea and vomit; it was disgusting.

“Almost a year on, I’m still not 100%. While I know there’s nothing I can do to change what we’ve been through, I want some answers. I feel it’s the least we deserve.”

Little Darcey fell ill the day they came back to the UK (Image: Irwin Mitchell / SWNS)

Sarita Sharma, the specialist international serious injury lawyer at Irwin Mitchell representing the group, including Chelsea and Darcey, said: “The first-hand account we’ve heard from Chelsea about her illness and the similar symptoms suffered by Darcey as well as others are deeply concerning.”

She added: “Chelsea and Darcey are just two of among more than 70 people who stayed at this hotel over the summer and autumn of 2022 only to be struck down with gastric illness.

“Others we represent suffered illnesses including cryptosporidium, e.coli, campylobacter and salmonella, all of which can have long-term impacts on health.

“Understandably our clients continue to have question and concerns about what happened to them.

“We’re now investigating those concerns to provide them with the answers they deserve.”

(Daily Star)


About Saxon

Saxon is a prolific writer with passion for the unusual. I believe the bizarre world is always exciting so keeping you up to date with such stories is my pleasure

Check Also

British Woman Says She Can’t Get A Job – Not Even Cleaning Toilets – For Having 800 Tattoos

A British woman has complained that finding meaningful employment was difficult for her because employers …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *